Sometimes it can be extremely difficult to find an appropriate video game
for young children. However, if you have the right system it may be easier than you think. The Nintendo Wii is a great video game system for kids of all ages. So strap on that Wii-mote with your kids, turn family game night virtual with these games, and be prepared to get moving while you do. The great thing about every one of these games is that they focus on getting kids off the couch. These are very interactive games designed to keep kids active and interested. Don't let the games do all the work though. Get in there with them and get moving!
1. Nickelodeon Fit
Get your kids up off the couch with this great little game especially made for preschoolers. It combines all their favorite characters like Dora, the Backyardigans, Kai-Lan, and the Fresh Beat Band. The workouts
are low impact and easy for most young children. Characters say the directions so there is no reading involved.
2. Wii SportsIf you have a Wii, chances are this game came with it. Wii Sports is actually a great game for young kids. It works well as an introduction to pushing the right buttons, combined with coordination practice. They will need a little guidance to learn the correct motions and buttons, but with a little practice you'll be struggling to keep up with their newfound bowling and tennis skills.
3. Dance Dance Revolution Disney GroovesGet moving and grooving with this fun Disney version of Dance Dance Revolution. All the songs are kid friendly, of course, and feature favorite characters. Dress character's up in favorite Disney costumes and have a dance off against Mickey's gang for some family fun.
4. Go Diego Go Great Dinosaur Rescue
This game is perfect for preschoolers. This is more of an adventure game
, but it still gets kids up and moving. Children will need to perform certain movements to help Diego complete his missions. Directions are spoken by the characters which is great for young children who cannot read.
5. UDraw for WiiNurture the artist within with this game. Featuring an electronic pad and stylus, UDraw lets kids create any masterpiece they wish. Older kids can learn to use the photo editing software to enhance their masterpieces. One of my favorite things about this game is the ability to save the drawings on a memory card so that they can be printed out from a computer.
6. Dora and the Crystal Kingdom
Preschoolers will love helping Dora through this adventure
game. Like most of Nickelodeon's games the instructions are spoken allowing young children to play on their own
7. Dora and the Snow PrincessIf your kids like Dora and the Crystal Kingdom, they'll love Dora and the Snow Princess. Again, the instructions are spoken appealing to preschoolers.
8. Wii Nickelodeon DanceThis game is great for kids who get up and dance while watching their favorite Nick Jr. Characters. Characters include the Fresh Beat Band, The Backyardigans, Kai Lan, Dora, and Diego. The music ranges from themes of Nick Jr. shows, and oldies.
9. Ni Hao Kai Lan Super Game DayThis game is full of mini-games especially designed for 3 to 5 year olds making it one of the better pre-school games. Controls are easy to learn, which helps kids keep from getting frustrated. Participate in Super Game Day by virtual boat-rowing, dancing, bubble-popping, water-balloon-tossing and more.
10. Wii MusicUse Wii Music to make a family jam session night. All you need is the Wii-motes for instruments to make some great music together. And no worries about seriously out of tune and out of sync playing, Wii Music automatically analyzes and adjusts the groups talent. This allows even the not so coordinated to rock with everyone.